Hydrating Serums.

Although my skin used to be extremely oily and is more in the combination category now, I've realized that just because my skin isn't dry necessarily, it doesn't mean it can't be dehydrated. And my skin was definitely dehydrated.
Even when my skin was feeling rather oily, it didn't feel plump or supple. The oil just sat on the surface and my skin still lacked any real moisture. When I had moisturizer on, my skin felt okay, but the second I washed it off, my skin felt parched again. It was almost as if moisturizer simply masked the dryness. So, I decided to try something I had never tried before: a hydrating serum.

I originally had Indeed Labs Hydraluron Moisture Booster in mind, but since it's impossible to get a hold of in the US (unless you were one of the lucky ones who picked it up from Walgreens during the short time it was available there), I picked up the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Fortifying & Soothing 24Hr Hydrating Concentrate instead. Meanwhile, Jane from Modesty Brown, heard my plea on Twitter for Hydraluron and offered to send one over for me from the UK (Thanks, Jane!).

I use either the Hydraluron or the Vichy Hydrating Concentrate in my nighttime routine, after I apply my La Roche-Posay Effaclar Serum, but before moisturizer (a hydrating serum does not take the place of moisturizer!). I used one exclusively every night for one week before alternating with the other over the span of about two and a half months because I wanted to have used them both fairly equally by the time I reviewed them on the ol' blog.

The Vichy Hydrating Concentrate has a viscous liquid consistency and a light, fresh cotton type of scent. In contrast, the Hydraluron has a gel-like consistency and is unscented. For me, they both work very, very similarly. Both serums are hyaluronic acid based products that are meant to be used in conjunction with a moisturizer to maximize the hydration provided to the skin.

Both sink in to the skin quickly and when I wake up in the morning, my face feels plump and hydrated. I don't find that I need to use a hydrating serum during the day too, as the effects of both serums last well throughout the next day for me.The only difference I can really detect between the way the two serums perform is that Hydraluron may be the slightest bit more hydrating, but only by a little. For all intents and purposes, I view the two as being pretty much the same and interchangeable for me, now that my skin type is more combination, but also in the dead of winter when it was incredibly dry and patchy. I don't really prefer one over the other.

Overall, if you've felt that your skin has been crying out for extra hydration that you haven't been able to provide with a moisturizer alone, I'd highly recommend considering adding a hydrating serum to your skincare routine. Both the Vichy Hydrating Concentrate and Hydraluron are fantastic options, and I would recommend both in a heartbeat. 

Those in the US who have moaned and groaned with me over the exclusivity of Hydraluron to the UK and Canada need not feel left out any longer - Vichy's offering is very similar, with the main differences being the consistency and the added fragrance.

I purchased the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Fortifying & Soothing 24Hr Hydrating Concentrate from Ulta for $35, and I paid for the Indeed Labs Hydraluron Moisture Booster that Jane sent me from the UK, but it is available from Boots in the UK for £24.99.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Labels