The Affordable Beauty Box: Beauty Box 5.

I'm not sure where I stand as far as monthly beauty boxes are concerned. On the one hand, I think it can be a great way for people to try out new brands and products that they might not otherwise be introduced to, and at a relatively minimal cost. On the other hand, if the selection of products in the box fails to impress, you could potentially be left with a box of duds hanging around your house gathering dust. When Beauty Box 5 offered to send my one of their monthly beauty boxes, I decided to take a look around their site to see what they're all about and noticed that their boxes cost a mere $12 a month. Pretty reasonable, I thought, considering some other companies' beauty boxes run around $20-30 a month. So, I took them up on their offer.

Beauty Box 5 is a beauty box subscription service that allows subscribers to sample five products monthly that include a great mix of high-end, drugstore and eco-friendly products from brands such as BECCA, Ellis Faas and It's a 10, to name a few.  

Upon opening my box, I was quite impressed as three of my five "samples" were actually full-size products. The products I received were:

Model Co Black Eye Liner Pencil (full-size) :: This black pencil is quite a pigmented, true black, and it glides on smoothly enough. However, when applied on my waterline, it smudged and smeared within an hour. Brownie points for a cap that doubles as a sharpener though!

Be a Bombshell Lipgloss in Taupeless (full-size) :: The formula is quite thick and a bit sticky, which also makes it long-lasting. It looks and feels more like a liquid lipstick, more so than just a gloss, because of its medium-opaque coverage and slightly heavier texture. Though I initally thought Taupeless wouldn't suit me at all, it turned out to be quite a flattering warm nude.

Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub in Coconut Lime :: I've actually used this scrub before (and the Coconut Lime scent is my favorite!), so I already knew I'd like it. It's an incredibly effective scrub without being abrasive, and the shea butter leaves skin feeling nourished.

Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen SPF 30 :: Aveeno claims it can be used on both face and body, but it's quite heavily scented, making me wary of applying it to my face. Nonetheless, it has a light texture that absorbs quickly and doesn't feel greasy.

Be a Bombshell Eyeshadow in Dancing Queen (full-size) :: It's a shame that I find silver shades absolutely vile on me, because Dancing Queen has the most gorgeous, buttery smooth texture with great color payoff. 

L to R: Model Co Black Eye Liner, Be a Bombshell Dancing Queen Eyeshadow and Taupeless Lipgloss

Beauty Box 5 offers three different subscription plans: monthly, quarterly, and yearly. Obviously, the quarterly and yearly plans are better deals than the monthly plan. Also, shipping is free for the US and Canada!

Monthly: $12/box
Quarterly: $30 for 3 months = $10/box
Yearly: $99 for 12 months = $8.25/box

I personally was not completely blown away by the products I received in my box, but I still think Beauty Box 5 is a great deal. The full-size Be a Bombshell eyeshadow and lipgloss would have costed me $28 alone, although I think it would have been nice to receive five products from five different brands in order to keep things a bit more interesting. Though I won't be subscribing myself, I think Beauty Box 5 could make a great gift for some of the younger ladies out there who are just getting into makeup. Conveniently enough, Beauty Box 5 offers the option to gift 3, 6 or 12 boxes for $30, $60 and $99, respectively. 

You can read more about Beauty Box 5 on their website.


Disclosure: Beauty Box 5 sent me this beauty box for consideration for a review. I am not affiliated with the company, nor am I getting paid for this post. The opinions expressed in this post are honest and based solely on my own experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Labels