New L'Oreal Magic Top Coats

Hello and happy Wednesday, Loves! Today I wanted to bring you some nail candy...



Over the past few weeks I've been using the new L'Oreal Magic Top Coats and after having a chance to wear each and every one, I wanted to bring you all my thoughts!
The idea is really cool... Each of the 6 unique top coats creates a different "effect" and changes the look of your ordinary polish. From changing the finish, to adding a layer of glitter, sparkle, or shimmery overlay that actually changes the color. They're really fun.

Here's a better detail shot of each shade...

from left: the holographic, the shift me, the sparklicious, the true gold, the true diamond, the matte velvet

*Not to confuse "the sparklicious" with my beloved L'Oreal "sparklicious" (an actual glitter polish PACKED with gold glitter). I have a feeling that will create some confusion...haha.

Here are swatches of each shade over a dark navy blue polish with no shimmer (I used Dior Blue Label).


1. the holographic
2. the shift me
3. the sparklicious
4. the true gold
5. the true diamond
6. the matte velvet


Crazy how different each one makes the same polish look, huh? So as I said before, I've worn each and have some very different thoughts on all of them... here we go.

1. the holographic
This one is one of my favorites (I have 2 favorites in this bunch), mostly because it's very unique. I love the "3D" effect it gives the polish. It works beautifully over dark and lighter polish, totally changing with each. For example, over a darker polish it gives this deep, dark blue-purple glitter effect. Over a light shade, it's a beautiful light, soft purple-green. This one is great.

2. the shift me
This one does change the actual shade of polish. It makes it lighter and gives it the cool blue frosted tone which is nice. However, I think this one is best suited over lighter shades. It can look a bit streaky over darker shades. This one is my least favorite of the bunch.

3. the sparklicious
This one is gorgeous in the bottle. Looks packed with black and silver holographic glitter of all shapes. On the nails, you have to work with it a bit to almost place the glitter, especially the black. While the black glitter is tough to see over the dark shade in the photo above (which is why I included one over my bare nail as well), I actually like it over dark and lighter colors. The black glitter gives some extra depth to the dark navy and to darker shades, while on lighter colors, it really shows up and gives a fun, artsy effect.

4. the true gold
This one contains a good amount of smaller-sized gold glitter.  I love this one because it applies a really even amount of glitter that you can build up.

5. the true diamond
This is my second favorite of the bunch. It has a super fine, pearly diamond shimmer. It applies evenly with no streaks. What I love most about it is that it really blends right over the polish in a way that makes it look like the original base polish has the sparkle inside of it. It's so pretty.

6. the matte velvet
This one is a velvet topcoat that changes the finish of your nail color to a velvety matte. Actual matte nail polishes are notorious for chipping, so I love the idea of applying a "regular" nail polish, and then using this matte topcoat to give it a matte finish. I love that it gives it a bit of extra staying power. It makes it easy to keep up with the whole "matte" nail trend without having to buy a million new matte nail polishes in different shades.

The staying power of all of them are similar to a typical clear topcoat. The only one that I wasn't crazy about the staying power was "the sparklicious" because like I said, you have to sort of place the glitter and to deposit enough evenly over your nail (even to only get about 10-15 pieces of glitter per nail), you have to make a few passes. So it builds up pretty thick which isn't great for staying power in the long run. 

These are available now and are around $5.99 a piece.

So which one is your favorite?? Have you all tried any of these yet?



Products provided by L'Oreal with no agreements or obligations to feature or review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Labels